Monday 10 January 2011

truth and beauty

10th January11, Christon Bank, 8am

On my podcast today was this quote from Albert Einstein: "The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives."

It got me to thinking about the sunrise that I'd just photographed and how I see it. The 25 years that I spent working and training as a scientist means that I see a star around which we orbit. I see red and orange colours caused by light scattering through the atmosphere. I see clouds and trees and I know something of how they work. I'll never lose my drive to understand the world around us - the same fascination I've had since I was old enough to ask questions. In this respect I shall remain a child with a child's curiosity.

In this quote Einstein brings art and science together as "truth and beauty" and they aren't mutually exclusive. As an artist I simultaneously see the sunrise from an aesthetic viewpoint - possibly with a different side of my brain - and surely none of us should be afraid to appreciate things on every available level.





1 comment:

Paul said...

Stunning....especially the picture with the sea on the horizon. I'm almost willing the sun to come up.