Wednesday 25 October 2017

New Light Through Old Windows - again

25th October 2017, Dunstanburgh, 8am

I first noticed this alignment and took a similar photograph in October 2008.  The alignment occurs each October and March and I've photographed it many times between 2008 and today.

We were there well before sunrise and it was very chilly standing about waiting.  I nearly gave up and headed home a few times but Daisy was content to stand and look around so we stayed in our place - where I knew the 'magic' would happen if I held my patience!

In this photo the sun has risen above the horizon but is still behind the headland.  It's a nice enough shot that would satisfy most people as a beautiful scene but I knew there was more to come.


Eventually the sun starts to climb above the cliffs and, if you're in the right place, it appears behind the Lilburn tower of the castle.  This shot is fine but I like the middle window better...


...so we waited a bit longer and fine-tuned our position.  The star burst effect is best achieved with a minimum aperture.  This is F8 (minimum on my compact camera)


26th October 2017, Embleton Bay, 10am

A couple of hours later and the light was very different.  I spent a pleasant couple of hours in the company of a fellow photographer looking at the patterns and reflections of the Skaith.




26th October 2017, Newton Point, 4pm

Back out and about.  Daisy has taken to sitting here for a while on every walk watching the world go by.  It's fine by me!







No comments: